Saturday, January 29, 2011

Roasted Lemon Chicken with Forbidden Rice

 Well, I ran out of propane Wednesday and since Jason has been working so much (the tank is too heavy for me to pick up) we have not filled it yet. So I had to change my plans for our dinners the last few days. It was fun to improvise. For last night I had originally planned on a polenta with skillet prepared chicken dinner. Instead I went with forbidden rice since I could use my rice cooker and oven roasted chicken. I love forbidden or black rice. Legend has it that is was only for the emperors of China's consumption. If you were not an emperor and ate it you were killed. It is supposedly even healthier for you than brown rice but has the texture and sweetness of white sticky rice! It is one of my new favorite foods.

 Prepare the rice as directed on the package.
For Chicken you will need:
4 Organic drumsticks or thighs
1 lemon's juice and zest
2 Tablespoons of Olive oil
2 can's of Eden organic kidney or cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
2 Tablespoons of fresh or dried parsley
3 garlic cloves minced
salt and pepper to taste
Directions:  Preheat oven to 400 degrees. In a glass pan place chicken. Drizzle with Olive oil, lemon juice and zest, salt and pepper
 Roast in oven for approx 20 minutes or until meat temp registers 160 degress. Remove chicken from oven, set to one side. Leave in pan.
 In a seperate bowl mix together beans, parsley, garlic
 Add beans to chicken dish and place back in oven for 10 minutes or until meat registers 175 degrees.
Little Olive occupied herself with a cookie while I was doing all this.









 When meat reaches 175 degrees. Remove from oven. Serve with rice and side salad!

1 comment:

  1. This looks so delicious! I am so happy to have found your blog. I am starting an organic lifestyle and blogs like yours have been a huge help.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails