Monday, January 17, 2011

Homemade Energy/ Breakfast Bars

Today Olivia and I went on an outing with my mom to "do" some wedding stuff for my sister. We ended our journey in Redmond at the PCC to eat a late lunch and check out the organic cakes. While there I picked up a flyer that had these bars in them. They are great for an on-the-run breakfast or quick snack. You can mix up the ingredients in the recipe to suit your tastes. Here is what I did:

Makes 18 bars
Ingredients:
2 cups of quick cooking organic oats
1.5 cups of mixed almonds and peanuts and 1/2 a cup of organic raisins (you can use any combination of nuts, trail mix, chocolate chips, raisins, dried cranberries, walnuts, figs, and so forth as long as it equals a total of 2 cups.)
1/2 a teaspoon of salt (omit if you use salted nuts or trail mix)
1/2 cup of organic brown rice syrup
1/4 cup of honey
2 Tablespoons of oil (I used organic extra-virgin coconut oil)
1 cup of almond butter or any other nut butter ( I used organic peanut butter, it was all I had)

First in a bowl combine the oats, trail mix and salt. Mix together.

 Meanwhile on the cook top melt the brown rice syrup and honey together. Let simmer for 2-3 minutes, once it has melted.
 Then add the nut butter and oil of your choice. Stir together well.

 When the cook top mixture is all melted together pour into the dry mixture and stir until thoroughly combined.

 When evenly mixed press into an oiled 7 x 11 baking pan. Let cool.
 I put mine in the fridge to help it cool quicker.
 When cooled flip out onto a cutting board
 Cut into bars.


 Wrap in waxed paper or plastic to keep the bars from drying out.
These are great tasting moist little bars. They remind me of larabars in their texture. Thanks PCC for a great recipe!

4 comments:

  1. Yum! They looks so rustic wrapped in paper...nice job, Jess. :)
    em

    ReplyDelete
  2. I made these too and they were delicious! I tried the recipe again, leaving out the peanut butter for more of a granola bar rather than an energy bar. They wouldn't hold together. I was thinking maybe I should leave the oil out too? Any suggestions?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am thinking about trying to make granola bars next too. I was looking at the bars in the local co-op. They left out the oil and used honey to hold the bars together. I think I will try that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi, great job on these! I added flaxseed and salted sunflower kernels and used all brown rice syrup. The are delicious and held together. I took some to work and they were a hit! Thanks a lot!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails