Thursday, January 6, 2011

Learning to Knit

So one of the items on my "to do" list for the new year was learn to knit. Utilizing youtube.com I have now learned to knit and purl! I am well on my way to my first organic cotton homemade scarf. Phew! It is a lot of work at first. I think I have pulled the scarf apart 15 times. I kept forgetting if I was on a "purl" stitch or a "knit" stitch. After figuring out a way to keep track I have my first ten rows of scarf! 
 I learned both the stitches with these two videos from youtube.com. Here are the links. Knit here. Purl here.
I found organic cotton yarn and organic wool yarn on amazon.com for a decent price. Turns out they also sell it at Fred Meyers. Although it is cheaper on amazon by a few dollars. In my picture I am using the organic cotton yarn. I can't wait to finish my scarf and then try a hat! That will involve learning to knit in the round. I have a lot to learn yet. I love learning to do things by hand that I have previously taken for granted and purchased in the store. Another knitting goal is to make a big floor pillow like one I saw on CB2.com. Why pay for it when I can make it? If anyone has any knitting tips I will take them.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails