Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Planting Seedlings on a Budget

Last year when planting my seedlings I went to Home Depot and bought myself a plastic greenhouse, it ended up costing me around 20 dollars for the little house and the pellets to go in it. Just so I could grow myself a few seeds. (The whole transplanting thing was a disaster for me last year, my only success's were the seeds I planted directly outside) So this year not knowing how my transplants will do I wanted to spend NO money. I wasn't sure what I was going to do until I saw this post on frugal granola yesterday

Today I decided to put the idea to work. I will show you what I did here and as the weeks go on let you know if and how the seedlings grow! Note the "organic" soil was given to me as a gift from my mom, so I am starting my seedlings at only the cost of the seeds!

What I used:

Egg cartons
Old Newspaper
a straight glass cup
scissors
organic dirt
tray or cookie sheets

Directions:
Here is how I did the egg cartons









 First two egg cartons I planted black eyed susans and sunflower seeds.

 The second two egg cartons I planted Mesculun greens and lettuce
Next I put together nine newspaper seedling holders. I took half a sheet of newspaper, a couple of pages thick. Cut it in half length wise. Then I placed it around a glass as shown.


 Tuck the ends under, pressing into the glass. Then pull it off the glass.

 If you want you can secure with tape. I did not find this necessary.
 Place on tray and fill with dirt.





 Plant seeds!

 I have these sitting on my south side kitchen counter. I am excited for them to start sprouting!!

1 comment:

  1. OH yeah... this is so much fun! Don't know why more people do it. It's an awesome family project!
    CJR @ The Mommy Blog

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails