List of chemicals found in dryer sheets and fabric softeners:
- A-terpineol (irritates mucous membranes and causes central nervous system damage)
- Benzyl acetate ( linked to cancer of the pancreas, eye and respiratory irritant)
- Benzyl alcohol ( can cause headaches, nausea vomiting, dizziness, depression disorders)
- Chloroform (EPA hazardous waste list. Identified as carcinogen and neurotoxin)
- Ethanol (EPA hazardous waste list for causing brain and nervous system disorders)
- Ethyl acetate (eye and lung irritant)
- Linalool (CNS effects causes decrease in muscle coordination, depression)
- Pentane (causes headaches, nausea, dizziness, fatigue, drowsiness and depression)
The point of fabric softeners it o stay on your clothes. Now think about your clothes covering your largest organ, your skin. Your skin absorbs these chemicals all day and all night. If you use dryer sheets some of the chemicals are vaporized, you breathe them in. I know we can't eliminate our exposure to chemicals but we can at least minimize it as much as possible!
In the winter when I am using the dryer I use dryer balls.
If you use liquid laundry detergent just use baking soda to replace your fabric softener as I mentioned in a previous post. 1/2 to 3/4 of a cup depending on the size of your laundry load.