Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Budget Organic Potato and Corn Soup

Today I realized I have 10 more days before Jason's next paycheck, so wanting to stretch the food I have I started thinking about my potatoes and frozen corn. Knowing Jason had had plenty of protein today (his love) I decided on a vegetarian dinner. I had originally planned a different soup. This one was easier for me with a crabby baby and a shorter day at home.

Organic Potato and Corn soup

Ingredients:

You will need:
1 organic yellow onion
2 Tablespoons of coconut oil (nutiva extra virgin from amazon.com)
8 garlic cloves peeled and crushed (I buy pre peeled from Costco and freeze it)
4 cups Organic frozen or fresh corn ( I buy large frozen bags from Costco)
6 medium organic potatoes cubed to about 1-2 inches (these were 1.00 per pound at the farmers market)
4 cups of water
2 tsp of cumin
1 tsp of crushed red pepper (cayenne)
salt to taste

Directions:

Saute onions, garlic, cumin, crushed red pepper in coconut oil until onions are transparent




Add potatoes, corn, water. Cover and boil until potatoes are tender.









Take about half the soup and puree in blender. Add back to the unpureed soup in pot.






Mix. Add salt to taste. Simmer for five more minutes and then serve.


This can also be eaten cold. The spicier it is (say 2 tsp of crushed red pepper) the better it tastes cold because the spice adds a heat of it's own.

I was pleasantly surprised at how yummy this was. Feel free to substitute chicken broth for the water.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails