Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Some Thoughts on School

With the intention of home schooling my children I have been doing a lot of reading lately on how children learn. All this reading has gotten me thinking about how in reality while our children are at home, whether they have attended school that day or not, they are being "home schooled" for all their hours with me. In effect their "schooling" starts from the day they are born. 

So from day one I have been "organically" or naturally schooling Olivia and now Henry. All my interactions with them are teaching them something. I am their most influential teacher because I spend the most time with them. With that in mind I have been thinking hard on some things I have read lately, let me share with you what I have been thinking about:

 "He is educated who know how to find out what he doesn't know"- Georg Simmel A German Philosopher.
 From this I gather I need to encourage the natural curiosity found in my children. Encourage them to ask why. Don't just reply "because I said so". I want Olivia to be able to think for herself, ask lots of questions, search for the why, how, what, when and where.


"You have made us for yourself, O Lord, and our hearts are restless until they rest in you." - St Augustine of Hippo

With all her searching and questions I want to point her always back to Christ as Lord. I want to show her how to find her answers in him.



Food for thought:
Deuteronomy 6:4-9 (NASB)
Joshua 24:15
Psalm 119: 129-136
Hebrews 4:12-13

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails