Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Delicious Homemade Caramel. Corn Syrup Free

When perusing the book my mom got me for Christmas "Can it, Bottle it, Smoke it" I came across this recipe for caramel. I have been dying to try it and finally got a little free time today to throw it together. It tastes "just like the real thing" according to my husband. I thought to myself that 's because it is the real thing, just not store bought, so that makes it better right! All that hard work went into it. Olivia of course loves it, in small bites of course. 

Ingredients: 1/2 cup of sugar
1 cup of water
1 cup of heavy cream
1/4 cup of honey
1/2 teaspoon of sea salt
1/4 teaspoon of vanilla extract (my next from scratch project)
a candy thermometer 
a well pre-oiled 8x8 or smaller pan

Instructions: Oil your 8x8 pan (I used coconut oil) and set aside.In a saucepan on the stove top melt the sugar into the water. Remove from stove top and set aside in a glass jar. In the same saucepan minus the water and sugar, place the whip cream,. Heat the whip cream over medium heat until it starts to bubble, about 3 minutes. Then add in the honey, sugar water and salt. Heat until it reaches 255 degrees.


 Remove from heat and add vanilla.
 Pour into your pan and let sit for at least 30 minutes. You now have caramel!
 No worries if you under heat you have caramel sauce and if you over heat you end up with toffee!


No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails