Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Goals for 2012

Polski: Maszyna do szycia Vesta (L.O. Dietrich...Image via WikipediaI am a firm believer in writing down goals. Goals for a day, week, month and for the year. So of course  the beginning of the new year is a great time to re-evaluate and come up with new or revised goals for the year. With the new little one I have had lots of mandatory sitting time while breastfeeding. Last time around I nursed and watched a lot of movies, this time around with a toddler running around the house I decided to read, both to her and to me, with only an occasional movie thrown in. So I save the movies for the days I am exhausted and use the reading for all my more normal days. Thankfully there are a whole lot more "normal" days than exhaustion days. Anyways, back to the topic, while reading I have come up with some goals for this year. Here they are in no particular order of importance:

1. Eat more fish. Being lazy I have been mostly supplementing our DHA/ Omega 3 oil needs, but have decided that eating the whole product rather than just part of that product is probably better for us than just the isolated oils. So you will be seeing more seafood in our menu plans.

2. Write a family purpose statement. Rather than floating through life pursuing the " American Dream ". I want our family to know what we stand for. The goal statement will help us evaluate each purchase, activity and decision we make. When we write it I will be sharing it with you on this blog.

3. Pay off at least half of our medical debt this year, the other half next year. Looking at our budget this looks like a realistic goal. If we come up with any extra money of course we could pay it off sooner. But a realistic goal is best I think.

4. Read to the kids daily. No matter what. This has always been an unspoken goal. Now it is down on paper. I have decided we will read through the book list in "What your Preschooler Needs to Know". I have already started requesting and picking them up from the library. Olivia loves her library bag.

5. Make good use of my new sewing machine. Hopefully by the end of this week I will have sewn my first "wet bag" and reusable sandwich bag.

6. Phase out most packaged, even organic, foods and make from scratch. I haven't decided yet what "most" means yet. I know if means cereal, haven't decided on the organic chips yet...might not want to part with those! Same with pre-made cheeses. Jury is still out on what this will mean for our family.

7. Walk with the kids five times per week and with the accountant twice per week. Exercise is good for me and I want to instill it into my children's life at a young age. If they see mommy do it they are much more likely too!
Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails