Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Ginger, my latest spice craze.

Not long ago were the days I relegated ginger to my spice drawer to be used in holiday cookie and cake recipes. Recently though my eyes have been opened to ginger's wonderful dexterity. I now use it in stir fry's, curries, spaghetti, baking and so much more! One day I opened my local CSA box of good (Klesick Family Farm, home organic vegetable delivery) and found this knobby looking thing:
So off to the Internet I went to figure out how to use it. Wow! I had no idea. I am now newly in love. While researching how to cook with it I found out interesting facts about medicinal uses. Here is what I discovered:
  • it increases perspiration
  • stimulates digestion
  • stimulates respiration, circulation and the nervous system
  • ginger tea or candied ginger is used as an anti inflammatory to ease aching joints, 
  • there is the popular nausea and morning sickness relief (found to be more effective than Dramamine)
  • it helps with flatulence
  • works as an expectorant
  • eases the symptom's of colds,coughs and flu
  • it is also said to be a natural pain killer
  • apparently researchers in Denmark believe that ginger blocks prostaglandins which helps with migraine headaches (must be taken at the beginning of the headache)
  • Gingerols one of the active ingredients in ginger are said to be effective in the prevention of colorectal and ovarian cancers

But don't take my word for it. Check it out yourself. I great site linking you to some research on ginger is the worlds healthiest foods.  Check it out for yourself.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails