Monday, September 20, 2010

Elderberry Syrup. A flu season staple at my house.!







Elderberry syrup is a potent herbal anti-viral. Elderberries contain high levels of anthocyanins, powerful antioxidants that protect cells against free radicals. They are found in blueberries and cranberries also, although the levels in elderberries are much higher. Elderberries grow wild across most of north America and Europe. You can make your own Elderberry syrup or buy it at the local health food store. Fred Meyers sells sambucus,( the trade name for it) as well as amazon.com
Note it is WAY cheaper to make your own. I started out by buying it. I found it worked so well I started to make my own. Last winter I was pregnant, so everytime I thought I might be starting to catch a cold I took the elderberry prophylacticlly (2 tablespoons daily, four tablespoons throughout the day if sick.). I was working in the hospital and did not want to catch any of the nasty flu and cold bugs. I made it through the winter without ever fully developing a cold!


How to make your own,
First buy dried elderberries at your local health food store or order online at frontiercoop.com. (not currently available on amazon.com although they have a picture of some here.


You will need: 
2 ounces of dried elderberries
1 quart of water
1 1/2 cups of honey
Jar with tight fitting lid
saucepan
strainer



  • in a saucepan place place the dried elderberries and water. Cover and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to low and simmer until the amount in the pan is down to a pint or two cups.
  • Remove from heat and strain.
  • Place the liquid back in the saucepan
  • Then stir in the honey
  • Heat until thoroughly dissolved
  • Let the syrup cool to room temp
  • Pour into a clean jar with a tight lid
  • If stored in the refrigerator this will keep for up to a year.
  • Make sure you label and date the jar

Here is a link to another blog with a recipe using fresh elderberries.


I for one plan to buy a bush and start growing my own!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails