Thursday, July 29, 2010

Cleaning with baking soda

I thought I would take today to explain why I have such a large bag of baking soda in my home. Well, it all started with this tiny little book I checked out from the library called " Baking Soda; over 500...uses you've probably never thought of". The title was right. There were lots of uses in that little book I had not thought of. I want to share with you the uses I have incorperated into my life since reading that little book. It has saved me quite a pretty penny!

First of all I am currently buying my large bag at Costco:



Baking Soda Uses at my house:

  • I clean my cutting boards with it by sprinkling the baking soda over them than pouring white vinegar, followed by boiling hot water over them
  • Sprinkle baking soda in hard to clean pots and pans, scour
  • After I have been cutting up onions or crushing garlic I wash my hands with baking soda, soap and water. The icky smell goes away
  • I store my steel wool pads in a container of baking soda under the sink inbetween uses to help prevent rust. As a secondary function it keeps my sink cupboard smelling fresh!

  • I clean my stainless steel sink and stovetop with baking soda in place of bar keepers friend or comet. It works good, is good for my septic system and doesn't scratch it
  • Sprinkle under garbage pail liner for decreased odors.
  • I scrub my shower with baking soda and vinegar. Works great with a toothbrush on mold
  • I clean my tub with baking soda and hydrogen peroxide
  • I place open boxes under my sink and in the refridgerator to keep odors down.
  • I had a rust stain on my sink from leaving a metal can sit on the edge of my sink overnight. I used baking soda and vinegar. I poured it over, let it bubble and then scrubbed with a brush
  • I have mentioned previously that I clean my toilet bowls with a combination baking soda and vinegar. You can also place one cup of baking soda (or half a box) into the toilet tank each month. Let sit overnight. Flush in the morning. Fresh toilet!!
  • I sprinkle baking soda on my area rugs to help life stains out.
  • I use it in the winter on the ice on my front porch. Works just as good as salt.
  • Baking soda helps soothe a sunburn. Place two cups plus 1/2 cup of cornstarch in a lukewarm bath and soak in it.
  • I monthly clean my coffee pot with it by placing baking soda in the filter then running the water through like I am making a pot of coffee. It gets rid of any build up improving the taste of your coffee.
  • I use it in my dishwasher for washing the dishes. 2tbls of baking soda + 2 tbls of borax.
  • I place in a decorative bowl in the bathroom with a essential oil and it smells good!

There are so many other things that I use it for...there are too many to list.
I want to mention one more. Teeth. I brush my teeth with it when I run out of toothpaste. !

My friend uses it to wash her hair...I am going to try this soon. Check out her blog about it at 


No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails