- 1 cup of the oil of your choice. Note you can mix two oils like 1/2 cup of mango butter and 1/2 cup of grapeseed oil. Pick our oils based on your skin type or what you are trying to accomplish with your skin. A great resource for beginners it the Readers Digest Complete Illustrated Book of Herbs. It gives you a quick synopsis of what different herbs and oils do for your skin and health.
- 1 oz of beeswax or about 1/4 of a cup
- Essential oils of your choice. I used peppermint for lip balm. 50 drops
- Heat the beeswax and oils together in a pyrex measuring cup in hot water in a pot on the stovetop. Do not boil. Heat slowly. Boiling can produce rancid oils releasing free radicals into your lip balm or salve.
- Remove from heat.
- Add the essential oil of your choice (about 50 drops but adjust to your desired smell)
- Pour the mixture into small jars or lip balm containers while it is still hot. It will harden and be a wonderful salve for your lips or muscles. In the picture the small dark container is the lip balm. The metal container is the lotion from yesterdays post.