Thursday, October 7, 2010

Organic Chicken Garbanzo (Chickpea) Bean Soup



Yesterday I was feeling frisky and made salsa, hummus and this soup all in the same evening. The soup was inspired by the fact that I had not used up all my chickpeas in the hummus and did not have enough room for them in the freezer! Olivia did a good job of occupying herself by crawling all over my now almost fully baby proofed house. I say almost because we haven't found a way to hide the computer wires from her yet.
This soup serves 4-6. Takes 1 hour total time including simmering.

Ingredients: 
3 Tablespoons of extra virgin organic coconut oil (nutiva brand purchased through amazon.com)
1 medium organic yellow onion, diced (my last one from the local market!)
10 cloves  of garlic, minced ( I buy the pre-peeled from the fridge section at costco then freeze it. It is the same price as the unpeeled.)
1 teaspoon of organic cumin
1/2 tsp of cinammon
4 cups of organic chicken broth
4 organic carrots, diced not peeled (Fred Meyers)
2 cups of my precooked then frozen organic chicken meat ( I precook, then freeze, de-boned whole chickens)
1/2 a lemon, you will use the juice from it
2 cups of water
2 cups garbanzo beans organic
2 Tablespoons of organic dried oregano
2 cups of organic green beans ( I used the frozen organic ones from Costco. Great price!)
2 Tablespoons of fresh cilantro
salt and pepper ( I used 2 tsp of pepper) to taste

Place dutch oven (or large stainless steel pot) on cooktop on medium heat. Coconut oil should be put in the pot and then allowed to melt. Then dice onion and also put in pot, cook until transparent.




Then add spices (cumin, cinnamon, pepper, garlic). Mix well with onions. Turn heat to medium low.





Next add precooked chicken, carrots and broth. Allow to simmer for 15 minutes.





Then add cilantro, lemon, green beans, and garbanzo beans. Simmer for 30 minutes. Then serve. 





Olivia you were a good girl! Thanks for letting mommy cook. She was camera shy today. Would not look at it!


1 comment:

  1. Yummy!! I substituted red kuri squash for the green beans. That is darn good soup!! Thank you Jessica.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails