Monday, October 18, 2010

Monday night Meal Idea: Homemade Organic Split Pea Soup with Ham




With the weather turning cold soup is sounding very very appealing. Last night I decided to use the ham I had been given and turn it into split pea soup. The result was delicious if I do say so myself! This is an incredibly easy soup to make. I made it on the stovetop but it can be made in your slow cooker too.

Serves 4-6. Prep and cook time 60 minutes
Ingredients:
4 cups of organic chicken broth ( I used the last container I had from Costco. Next time it will be my homemade broth!)
2 cups of green split peas, organic (purchased for 1.19 per pound at the local co-op)
2-3 cups of cooked ham ( I was given my ham)
1 organic yellow onion, diced (Klesick Family Farm)
3 organic carrots, cut small ( Klesick Family Farm)
2 bay leaves
1 tsp of black pepper
6 garlic cloves, crushed
2 tsp of margarom
2 tablespoons of extra virgin cold pressed organic coconut oil (nutiva, purchased through amazon.com)
2 cups of water

Place pot on stovetop. Put coconut oil, broth, water, ham, split peas, onions, carrots and spices in the pot on the stovetop. Simmer on medium heat for 45 minutes. Serve warm! Very Very simple soup to make!!







"Mommy I love your spoons! They are more fun than my toys!"


No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails