Friday, October 22, 2010

Chicken Stock, organic and homemade

My friend Emily encouraged me to start making my own chicken stock. She kept telling me it wasn't difficult, which I found to be so true! Here is the recipe I made along with her tips. You do have to have a whole day at home though while the stock simmers on your stove top. Although another friend told me today she puts hers in the crock pot. I will have to try that next!
Here is the recipe of what I did. I made potato kale soup with some of the stock and it was delicious. That recipe will post on Monday.
Prep and Cook Time 10 hours
Makes about 12 cups of broth
Ingredients:

  • 1 pound of free range, organic chicken bones and giblets ( I used the bones from a whole chicken along with giblets.) Mine were roasted in the oven at 450 degrees for 20 minutes prior to putting in the pot. This is optional.
  • 1 large onion, any type
  • 3 carrots, organic
  • 3 celery stalks, organic
  • 1 bay leaf
  • 10 whole peppercorns
  • 3 sprigs of fresh parsley
  • 4 cloves of whole garlic
  • 10 cups of  COLD water
  • 2 Tablespoons of organic extra virgin coconut oil
  • Feel free to add other left over veggies you might have like leeks, shallots, ginger, potatos and so forth. It will only make the stock richer. I now save up my end of tomatos, ends of carrots and so forth. I put them in a bag in the freezer and save up for my next pot of stock! Also feel free to toss in other left over herbs such as thyme, rosemary and basil.
Place all veggies, spices, chicken parts and water in the pot on the stove top. Turn heat to low, cover and let simmer for 8 hours ( do not bring to a boil. Bring to a slow simmer over a less then 45 minute period). Check water level through out the day. Add up to two more cups to keep it from boiling off. Skim off any "gunk" that rises to the surface. Do not stir the pot. Just let it sit!


 When it is done simmering strain off the liquid and place in the fridge overnight. In the morning scoop of the fat and solids that float to the top then restrain through a cheesecloth ( my friend strains hers through a paper towel.). Freeze broth for later use or use in a soup today! I got 12 cups out of my last batch. I froze them in two cup portions.




Enhanced by Zemanta

2 comments:

  1. Ah...very nice! I'm sure this will encourage more people to make their own stock. It really is very fun and satisfying to make your own. plus way cheaper, considering that you'd just be throwing away all of those bones anyway. love it!
    em
    ps: i usually don't add the giblets -- just the neck. but was that suggested in a recipe? just curious. if it tastes fine, then might as well! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. yes i love doing mine in the crock pot, and best yet I did it over night when I worked full time and was not home all day to watch it, pot it in at dinner and let her rip, then toss in the frig on the way to work and strain when you get home. Easy peasy! :-)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails