Friday, July 1, 2011

Vegan Raw Kale Pesto

So I recently had an epiphany. You can make a pesto out of ANY green. Wow, did that open up my horizons for what to do with the loads of various greens I get delivered in my organic CSA boxes during the summer. You can do so much with a pesto. It makes a great pizza sauce, pasta sauce, appetizer dip, baked potato topping. So much I can do with it. The downside of pesto is it does not can well, but it does freeze well. So today I made this raw kale pesto to save for a dark winter day (not that our Washington summer has been particularly bright weather wise.) I omitted the parmesean cheese, which can be added later if you don't want a vegan version. Just add a half a cup of the cheese and re blend with the pesto when you remove it from your freezer to use.

 Ingredients:

  • 1 bunch of Kale stems removed (optional: if you don't want the strong taste of raw kale quickly blanch it in hot boiling water before blending it)
  • 1/2 cup of the nuts of your choice ( I use whatever I have on hand which today was almonds. Walnuts of course always taste wonderful in a pesto)
  • 6 cloves of fresh garlic, diced
  • 1/2 cup of organic extra virgin olive oil
Directions:

First place nuts in food processor and blend til chopped well. Then add Kale, garlic and olive oil. Pulse until Pesto is desired consistency. (You should add salt and pepper to taste at this point.)


Place in container for freezing to be used on a later date. Make sure to date the container. Will store well if frozen for up to 6 months. Why pay 5-10 dollars a bottle for store bought pesto when it is so simple to make and freeze your own?

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails