Saturday, December 18, 2010

Play time ideas for Baby that are simple and homemade

 Now granted these pictures are not of the items I will talk about in my post but I found  my camera and so had to share pictures of Olivia playing! She loves books. She goes over to her bookshelf and often crawls over to me with the book she wants me to read to her. Her favorites so far are "MR Brown Can Moo", "In My Nest", "Polar Bear Polar Bear What do you Hear?" and "The Berenstein Bears and the Spooky Old Tree". She is just like her mama!



 So on to today's topic: Simple Homemade things for Baby to play with. I don't recommend anyone younger than 10 months play with these things. Olivia is just now old enough and with close adult supervision we have had lots of fun!

  • Olivia is at the stage where she likes to touch and feel different textures. When I made pasta the other day I set some cooked pasta and uncooked aside in a stainless steel bowl for her to run her fingers through and play with. It entertained her the entire time I cooked dinner! She was squealing in delight. She did eat about a quarter of the cooked pasta. What she didn't eat I put on the compost pile(0:
  • Another simple thing (but messy so baby should be naked and floor should be covered) is to mix corn flour with water (I call it glop) and let her go at it in a contained area. Olivia loves the squishy feel!
  • Buy a plain piece of untreated pine or some other wood. Cut into 3 inch blocks, then sand and coat with beeswax. You have perfect non-toxic blocks. (which by the way are super expensive to buy online!)
  • Homemade Bubble Bath. Most babies love baths. Miss Olivia loves bubbles in her bath. We make our own bubble bath by mixing our non-toxic dish soap with water and sugar. You will need half a cup of dish soap, 1.5 cups of water and 2 teaspoons of sugar. Mix together and poor in the bath under running water.
  • I have to watch Olivia closely with this one. It is edible but too much would make her sick. Homemade play dough. My recipe is 1 cup of organic flour,1/2 cup of sea salt, 2 teaspoons of cream of tartar, 1 cup of filtered water, and 1 tablespoon of olive oil. Mix together, cook over medium heat for 5 minutes (don't let it burn, it happens easily and quickly), let cool, then PLAY! Store in airtight container. Storage is variable depending on how you store it. I bought some food based food dyes for coloring!
  • Homemade finger paint. Now warning this one is messy!!! So cheap to make. You need 1.5 tablespoons of white sugar, 1/2 cup of cornstarch, 1/2 teaspoon of salt, 1 cup of cold water, natural based food dyes. Mix all together except the dye in a medium saucepan over low heat. Gradually add food coloring until it reaches your desired color. Cook and stir for ten minutes. Until the mixture thickens to the paint consistency you want. Remove pan from heat. Store in an old glass jar. You may use immediately. Again not sure how long I can store for since I just started doing this.
Recipes found in "The Everything Green Baby Book"

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails